Meta, the tech giant behind Facebook and WhatsApp, has introduced its latest social media app called Instagram Threads.
With its direct integration into the popular Instagram platform, Threads offers a unique and intriguing experience.
If you’re curious to try it out for yourself, here’s a guide on how to sign up for Instagram Threads in South Africa.
To get started, you’ll need to download the Instagram Threads app, as it requires a separate installation from the main Instagram app. Follow these steps to download the app:
- For iPhone users, open the App Store. Android users should open the Play Store.
- In the search bar, type “Instagram Threads” and tap on the app when you see it. The icon features a white @ symbol against a black background.
- On iPhone, tap “Get” to download and install Threads. On Android, tap the “Install” button.
After downloading the app, it’s time to sign up for Instagram Threads:
- Open the Threads app and tap the “Log in with Instagram” button to sign in using your Instagram account.
- You can choose to import your profile information from Instagram by tapping the “Import from Instagram” button. Alternatively, you can manually enter your bio, link, and profile picture.
- Select whether you want a public or private profile, and tap “Next” to proceed.
- A list of people you follow on Instagram will be displayed. You can choose to follow all of them on Threads or select specific individuals. Alternatively, you can skip this step.
- Congratulations! You have successfully signed up for Instagram Threads and can start using the app.
Threads functions similarly to Twitter, with short text-based posts, likes, and reposts.
You can share posts up to 500 characters long and include images, gifs, and videos up to five minutes in length. Currently, there is no direct messaging feature on Threads, and your feed may include a mix of posts from followed accounts and algorithmic recommendations.
You have control over the privacy settings of your Threads account. If you prefer a more personal Instagram experience, you can keep your Instagram account private while having a public Threads account. You can also make your Threads account private or choose who can reply to your posts.
While the future success of Threads remains uncertain, millions of users have already signed up within hours of its launch. Whether it becomes the next big social media app or not, you now have the knowledge to sign up and explore Instagram Threads for yourself.