The Department of Home Affairs (DHA) in South Africa is requiring approximately 1 million citizens to apply for a smart ID online.
This follows the DHA’s efforts to combat fraudulent ID numbers.
If you find yourself in need of a smart ID, whether due to this requirement or because your ID was lost or stolen, this guide will walk you through the process and costs involved.
The Transition from Green Mamba to Smart ID
The Smart ID card was introduced by the DHA in 2013, replacing the traditional ‘green mamba’ ID booklet.
By the end of 2023, the old green ID booklets will be phased out, making it necessary for those still using them to apply for a smart ID online.
Eligibility and Required Documents
To apply for a smart ID online in South Africa, you must be 16 years or older and a South African citizen.
You’ll need to provide the following documents if available to prevent identity cloning:
- Green ID booklet.
- Birth certificate for new applicant.
- Travel or ID documents from the old Transkei, Bophutatswana, Venda, or Ciskei homelands.
- Documentation verifying a legal guardian in case of adoption.
- Your parents’ IDs.
- Your parent’s death certificates for any or all deceased parents.
- Proof of address (eg. a utility bill with your name and address on it).
- Permanent resident certificate for those born elsewhere.
- Sworn and signed police affidavit and police case number if you lost or had your ID document stolen.
Cost of Application
- First-time applicants aged 16: FREE
- Applicants older than 16, replacing a green ID or a lost/stolen Smart ID: R140
How to Apply
Follow these steps to apply for a Smart ID online:
- Visit the Department of Home Affairs (DHA) eHome website.
- Click on “Apply Online for Your Smart ID or Passport.”
- Select “Go to Registration.”
- Fill in your details, including name, ID number, passport number, birth certificate number, date of birth, email address, and cell phone number. Click “Next.”
- Upload the required documents listed earlier.
- Make an EFT payment online. If you don’t have digital banking, visit your bank in person to make a deposit payment.
- After payment confirmation, choose a convenient Home Affairs branch for fingerprinting and ID photograph.
By following these steps, you can successfully apply for a Smart ID online in South Africa.